This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7726 / 51°46'21"N
Longitude: -3.105 / 3°6'18"W
OS Eastings: 323850
OS Northings: 208793
OS Grid: SO238087
Mapcode National: GBR F2.ZDFX
Mapcode Global: VH79C.4PBZ
Entry Name: Electrical Workshop
Listing Date: 9 February 1995
Last Amended: 9 February 1995
Source ID: 15286
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated at the north end of the site.
Community: Blaenavon (Blaenafon)
Locality: Big Pit Mining Museum
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built before 1920 for the repair and maintenance of electrical equipment. It replaced the original workshop (now the Museum reception). Big Pit was operated in connection with Blaenavon Ironworks, then by the National Coal Board from 1947 to 1980. Underground workings date from the early C19 but the shaft on this site was sunk in 1860. The present surface structures date from between c1900 and the 1970's. This piecemeal development was typical of mines in South Wales and it is now the most complete remaining, having been reopened as a museum in 1983.
Long, rectangular building with lightly polychromed brickwork, built on a slope in two phases. The two bay north-west block, is slightly taller than the four bay south-east block. Openings are formed by segmental brick arches. Windows have brick sills (two windows in the north gable are blocked). The pitched slate roofs have tiled ridges with finials at either end of the north- west building. This block also has a chimney on its north-east pitch.
The ground floor is empty, but rows of thick eye-bolts in the ceiling were used for winching heavy equipment from trams to work benches. The first floor is now used as an exhibition space. The roof structure comprises multiple wooden trusses.
Included for group value with other listed items at this exceptionally complete colliery site.
Other nearby listed buildings