This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7715 / 51°46'17"N
Longitude: -3.1049 / 3°6'17"W
OS Eastings: 323857
OS Northings: 208669
OS Grid: SO238086
Mapcode National: GBR F2.ZLG9
Mapcode Global: VH79C.4QFV
Entry Name: Powder House, Big Pit Mining Museum
Listing Date: 9 February 1995
Last Amended: 9 February 1995
Source ID: 15291
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on the south side of the site and set apart from the other buildings.
Community: Blaenavon (Blaenafon)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built in the mid-twentieth century, this building held explosives for mining activities. Big Pit was operated in connection with Blaenavon Ironworks, then by the National Coal Board from 1947 to 1980. Underground workings date from the early C19 but the shaft on this site was sunk in 1860. The present surface structures date from between c1900 and the 1970's. This piecemeal development was typical of mines in South Wales and it is now the most complete remaining, having been reopened as a museum in 1983.
Single storey, rectangular brick building with flat concrete roof. Two doorways in the north-west elevation provided separate entrance and exit, with steel doors. That to the east has a flat roofed porch. Between the doors, set high up, is a wide slit window with angled brick sill. All openings have square heads with concrete lintels.
Included for its group value as an integral part of the process at this colliery site.
Other nearby listed buildings