This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7711 / 51°46'15"N
Longitude: -3.0989 / 3°5'56"W
OS Eastings: 324269
OS Northings: 208616
OS Grid: SO242086
Mapcode National: GBR F2.ZMXQ
Mapcode Global: VH79C.7RL5
Entry Name: Electricity Power House, C Row (NW Side)
Listing Date: 9 February 1995
Last Amended: 9 February 1995
Source ID: 15301
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to the west of Forge Side residential area, overlooking the steel works.
Community: Blaenavon (Blaenafon)
Locality: Forge Side
Built-Up Area: Blaenavon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built around 1920 and remembered by locals as an electricity current conversion station. Architecturally very similar to a pair of locomotive sheds [now demolished] built near the site in 1917.
Large, single storey, rectangular building in red brick. The main gable facade has three bays and the return elevation has nine bays. The symmetrical gable has a wide central semi-circular arched doorway, flanked by two tall semi-circular arched windows, with stone sills. Iron glazing bars are still present, but the openings have been in-filled with brick. An ocular window at the top of the gable wall is blind with small diamond shaped opening at its centre. End pilaster strips are continued as stepped decorative verges. The return elevation has eight identical semi-circular arched windows, all bricked in. Ninth window is blocked, with inserted doorway. Iron tie bars between the windows. Brick eaves cornice.
The floor level is split, being higher at the west end. The long walls have brick in-fill to their arches, into which iron girders have been fixed for an overhead gantry. The roof structure has narrow iron trusses.
Included for its special interest as an early power generation building associated with the local industry and as part of the Forge Side Ironworks complex.
Other nearby listed buildings