This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7717 / 51°46'18"N
Longitude: -3.0986 / 3°5'54"W
OS Eastings: 324293
OS Northings: 208690
OS Grid: SO242086
Mapcode National: GBR F2.ZG24
Mapcode Global: VH79C.7QRN
Entry Name: Coity House (Doncasters Ltd)
Listing Date: 9 February 1995
Last Amended: 9 February 1995
Source ID: 15303
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to the south-west of the tyre mill, and to north-west of the Forge Side residential area.
Community: Blaenavon (Blaenafon)
Locality: Forge Side
Built-Up Area: Blaenavon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built before 1879, probably around 1860, for the works manager, when the Forge Side Complex was first being developed. It was the home of Captain Percy G Pennymore, Director of the Blaenavon Gas and Iron Company, at the end of the nineteenth century. The Gilchrist memorial was originally sited immediately south-east of the house, and now relocated to Blaenavon Ironworks.
A rendered building on a rectangular plan, with extensions to the south-west and north-west. The main house has three bays on two storeys. Asymmetrical three-window facade, with wide rendered surrounds and cambered arches to all openings and 16-pane horned sash windows. Central doorway with door set-back and staircase window above. Two further windows to ground and first floors. The slate roof is pitched and has ceramic ridge tiles and a chimney stack on its north-west pitch.
Inaccessible at time of inspection, although some original fitments such as window shutters and central wooden staircase were apparent from outside.
Included as good example of manager's house and as part of the Forge Side Ironworks complex.
Other nearby listed buildings