This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.087 / 52°5'13"N
Longitude: -3.1501 / 3°9'0"W
OS Eastings: 321290
OS Northings: 243805
OS Grid: SO212438
Mapcode National: GBR F0.BM86
Mapcode Global: VH6BB.CS0Z
Entry Name: No 21, the Village Clyro,,,,,powys,
Listing Date: 31 January 1995
Last Amended: 31 January 1995
Source ID: 15311
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated opposite the south-west end of the churchyard in centre of village.
Community: Clyro (Cleirwy)
Built-Up Area: Clyro
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Former C15 cruck-framed hall house, rebuilt and enlarged in C19 with rubble walls and at some stage converted to two dwellings.
Number 20 is one-and-a-half storey, rendered with slate roof and tall rubble lateral stack to rear. Single storey range at south end was a forge but now converted to domestic accommodation with boarded door and 16-pane sash window.
Number 21 is two storey with twin gables facing the roadside. Rubble stone, slate roofs, large rubble ridge stack and rubble stack at end projecting at first floor level on corbels. C19 panelled door, various C19/20 casements under timber lintels. Modern extension to rear.
Substantial survival of four massive smoke-blackened cruck trusses with halved and notched collars and ties. Large rubble stack inserted into former hall (fireplace openings blocked). Room to left of stack in number 20 has cross pattern arrangement of exposed beams with chamfer and straight-cut stops, supported on a timber partition wall (largely cut away but chamfered head rail with mortices and peg holes is partly visible). Number 21 is said to have another early timber partition wall (now boxed in) between two ground floor rooms. The room in numberá21 adjacent to the central stack has good quality large exposed beams with ogee mouldings.
Listed for its origins as a late-medieval hall house and for its well-preserved interior.
Other nearby listed buildings