This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0782 / 52°4'41"N
Longitude: -3.1574 / 3°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 320776
OS Northings: 242840
OS Grid: SO207428
Mapcode National: GBR YZ.CCFB
Mapcode Global: VH6BJ.7144
Entry Name: Baskerville Hall Hotel (formerly known as Clyro Court)
Listing Date: 31 January 1995
Last Amended: 31 January 1995
Source ID: 15314
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Elevated position above A438 Hereford to Brecon road 1km south-west of Clyro village. Reached along private gated drive.
Community: Clyro (Cleirwy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
1839, in imposing Neo-Jacobean style for Thomas Baskerville Mynors Baskerville. Architect E Haycock of Shrewsbury. Conan Doyle was reputedly inspired to write "The Hound of the Baskervilles" whilst staying here. After the Second World War the house was sold to Radnorshire District Council and became a school; sold again in 1976 and converted to hotel.
Large square plan with lower service range to north-west. Ashlar, pronounced vermiculated quoins, string courses, ornate gables with ball finials. Colonnaded porch to north-east front, stone balconies with bulbous balusters to south elevation. Drop cill sash windows, some tripartite in shallow bays. Pitched slate roof.
Main block retains fine original detailing throughout. Large entrance hall with panelled archways, Imperial cantilevered stone staircase with ironwork balustrading, colonnaded gallery landing; over the stairs a coved ceiling and lantern. Principal ground floor rooms have decorative plaster ceilings, cornice mouldings, marble chimneypieces, panelled shutters. Former library largely panelled with glass-fronted and open bookshelves.
Grade II* as a well-designed Jacobethan country house by an eminent architect and retaining impressive original interiors, most notably the staircase hall.
Other nearby listed buildings