This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.102 / 52°6'7"N
Longitude: -3.1498 / 3°8'59"W
OS Eastings: 321342
OS Northings: 245478
OS Grid: SO213454
Mapcode National: GBR F0.9MBP
Mapcode Global: VH6BB.CF6F
Entry Name: Attached Barn to Wern y Pentre
Listing Date: 31 January 1995
Last Amended: 31 January 1995
Source ID: 15333
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Lies 1.5km north of Clyro village fronting by-road, on the lower slopes of Clyro Hill.
Community: Clyro (Cleirwy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Late C15 cruck-framed hall house refronted and converted to cottage with attached barn/byre probably in late C18.
Two storeys, painted rubble stone, stone tile roof, stone end stack with brick upper. Former central door now blocked by window. Windows all C19/20 timber casements under exposed timber lintels. Adjoining the house is rubble and corrugated iron roofed outbuilding of two bays. A small area has been partitioned off to form the present entrance hallway to the house with half-glazed modern door under timber lintel.
The upper portions of four substantial cruck trusses survive, defining the two-bay hall and upper room of the original house. There was, almost certainly, a further bay at the lower end which was demolished when the barn was built (some of the roof timbers of the barn may be re-used crucks from this portion). One cruck truss is exposed in the barn and is "clean" on the barn side; the cruck trusses and purlins of the former hall and upper room are smoke-blackened. Ornate former central truss to hall with chamfered arch-bracing and cusping above the collar forming a quatrefoil and two trefoils. The other trusses have notched and halved collars and ties and portions of substantial infill framing. Inserted stack, large open fireplace with timber lintel, exposed joists and chamfered beams with straight-cut stops. Stone flag floors. Small timber mullion window in rear wall behind stack.
Listed for its origins as a C15 cruck-framed hall house and for surviving internal features.
Other nearby listed buildings