History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Tithe Barn (belonging to Gladestry Court)

A Grade II Listed Building in Gladestry, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1887 / 52°11'19"N

Longitude: -3.1245 / 3°7'28"W

OS Eastings: 323219

OS Northings: 255089

OS Grid: SO232550

Mapcode National: GBR F1.47KW

Mapcode Global: VH69Y.S7JZ

Entry Name: Old Tithe Barn (belonging to Gladestry Court)

Listing Date: 31 January 1995

Last Amended: 31 January 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15334

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Prominently sited 50m to NE of the parish church.

County: Powys

Community: Gladestry (Llanfair Llythynwg)

Community: Gladestry

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Find accommodation in
Gladestry

Exterior

c.1800, five bays with central threshing bay. Neat coursed rubble stone with ventilation slits, iron roof, double door entry. Rubble lean-to added to S side. Good quality pegged roof timbers with prominent assembly marks, early type king post trusses with two pairs of raking braces. Stud infill to panel between top of doors and eaves. Flagstone threshing floor.

Reasons for Listing

Good group value with church.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Gladestry Court
    Prominent village location on S side of main through road, 150 yards E of parish church. Marked on 1839 Tithe Map as Great House, on site of Manor House.
  • II Former Meeting House to left of Gladestry Post Offcies
    Village centre, fronting through road 200 yards NE of Parish Church.
  • II Corner House
    Lies 35m E of the Parish Church in village centre, set back from main through road.
  • II Detached former Smithy Range (near The White Heart)
    Set into bank 20m SE of Parish Church, abuts churchyard.
  • II The White Heart
    Set into bank 20m SE of Parish Church, abuts churchyard.
  • I Parish Church of St Mary
    Situated in open churchyard above B4594, on NW side of village centre.
  • II* Stone House
    Elevated position 800m SE of Gladestry. The first Radnorshire property to be acquired by James Watt. He purchased it in 1798 from Thomas Harley of Berrington Hall.
  • II Foyce
    Lies about 800m NW of Gladestry and reached along by-roads running N from the junction at Gladestry Church.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.