This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.148 / 52°8'52"N
Longitude: -3.1023 / 3°6'8"W
OS Eastings: 324674
OS Northings: 250537
OS Grid: SO246505
Mapcode National: GBR F2.6T99
Mapcode Global: VH77M.58TQ
Entry Name: Church House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 31 January 1995
Last Amended: 31 January 1995
Source ID: 15345
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Lies 200 yards S of St Michaels Church, on the other side of the road.
Community: Gladestry (Llanfair Llythynwg)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
c.1600 parlour wing with C18 and C19 rebuilding of older section of house.
Two-and-a-half storey main section with two storey cross wing at east end. Rubble stone with some later brick dressings. Slate roof. Tall projecting rubble stack offset to wing, rubble stack to rear of main part. The wing has been largely rebuilt in stone but a small area of square panel timber framing survives. Rear gable end encased in iron sheeting. Front gable end has two 16-pane sashes under later heads. Main section of house has three window range with central gabled dormer, front door in corner adjacent to wing. Later timber porch, wide-boarded front door with strap hinges, modern windows under cambered heads. To rear late C19 sashes.
Main section of house comprises large entrance hall with blocked fireplace on rear wall, kitchen and dairy. Plain squared beams in hall and kitchen, deep chamfered beams in dairy, modern stairs. Wing divided into three rooms, rear stairs lead off through trimmed beam. Main room has substantial beamed ceiling in counterchanged arrangement, deep chamfered beams and joists with diamond cut stop to joists, broach to beams (only one section of joists is exposed). Small stone jamb fireplace with renewed lintel. Four C18 six-panel raised and fielded panel doors with modified H/L hinges. Exposed wall posts of timber framed wing are massive with thickened top section and they project into the rooms. A small area of exposed wall framing has diagonal corner brace from post to wallplate.
Included, despite window alterations, as a regional vernacular farmhouse with good internal detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings