History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mynydd Ednyfed Fawr

A Grade II Listed Building in Criccieth, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9293 / 52°55'45"N

Longitude: -4.2284 / 4°13'42"W

OS Eastings: 250309

OS Northings: 339206

OS Grid: SH503392

Mapcode National: GBR 5K.MKBG

Mapcode Global: WH55K.0MRN

Entry Name: Mynydd Ednyfed Fawr

Listing Date: 12 December 1994

Last Amended: 12 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15361

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Towards the top of the lane approx. 1.5km out of Criccieth, below the golf club house.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Criccieth (Cricieth)

Community: Criccieth

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Criccieth

History

Dated 1795, and built by the Rev. W. Evans, Rector of Criccieth, as a new house for a pre-existing farm. The house was the home of the family of Margaret Owen when she married David Lloyd George in 1888.

Exterior

3 storey, 3 window main range, with lower rear wing. Render over rubble which is roughly courses where it is exposed in the rear wall; slate roof with end wall stacks. Central doorway in added porch, the door partly glazed and with lozenge overlight. 12-pane sash windows flanking the entrance and to first floor; narrower 9-pane sashes in attic storey. Date stone to centre above first floor window with initials M.W over O and inscription (‘Built by the Rev. Wm Evans A.D.1796. Heb Dduw Heb Ddim Dduw Digon’). Lower rear wing with doorway towards angle with main range, and paired 4-pane sash windows to ground floor, with 2x2-light casements below eaves, and high end wall stack.

Interior

Central stair hall, with turned baluster stair rising through 2 storeys. On either side of the stair hall, the space was originally divided between a large principal room and a smaller parlour or service room, placed alternatively. Large fireplace in single room of rear wing, with recess alongside it which may originally have been for a ladder or staircase.

Reasons for Listing

A fine example of a late C18 vernacular farm-house.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Stable Block at Bryn Hir
    To the east of the house at Bryn Hir, close to Lon Ednyfed.
  • II Bryn Hir
    In wooded grounds on the N side of the town, close to Lon Ednyfed.
  • II Bryn Henllan
    Set back from the road in gardens, east of the Church of Saint Catherine.
  • II* Church of St Catherine
    On the NE side of the town, where the lane turns to the E.
  • II Hafod y Bryn
    Diagonally opposite the Church of Saint Catherine, where the lane turns to the E.
  • II Rectory
    In grounds set back from the NE side of the open green of Y Maes, close to Holywell Terrace.
  • II Nant y Felin
    Set back from the road immediately E of the Church of Saint Deiniol.
  • II Church of Saint Deiniol
    Set back from the main A497 road in a disused churchyard towards the centre of the town at Y Maes, a

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.