This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9233 / 52°55'23"N
Longitude: -4.2406 / 4°14'26"W
OS Eastings: 249465
OS Northings: 338555
OS Grid: SH494385
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.MVRT
Mapcode Global: WH44D.TSTB
Entry Name: Walls, Gatepiers and Gates enclosing the Memorial Garden at Bryn Awelon
Listing Date: 12 December 1994
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 15362
Building Class: Domestic
Location: South of the house, on the west side of its gardens, adjoining Lon Fel.
Community: Criccieth (Cricieth)
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The garden was established as a memorial garden to Lady Margaret Lloyd George by Lady Megan Lloyd George, some time between 1843 and 1849. It was designed by the landscape gardener, John St Bodfen Gryffydd.
The garden is partially enclosed on 3 sides by a roughly courses and squared rubble wall, c2m in height, which forms the boundary wall with Lon Fel on the W side. It is entered from the N by a wrought iron gate, with rough stone ball finials to either side. There is a pair of similar gates on the S side, although there is no wall at this side. A stone wall bounds the garden on the E side, stepped in height, and there is a stone bench in the angle of the N and E ranges. The garden is divided into 2 sections by a change of level, with a raised bed round a tree where the levels change. Its decorative cobbled surface is inlaid with stones and tiles which represent various astronomical signs and symbols, and there is a pool in the lower section.
A striking example of C20 garden design, with strong architectural and sculptural features in its enclosure, and in the use of different materials to create symbolic forms and patterns.
Other nearby listed buildings