This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9193 / 52°55'9"N
Longitude: -4.2331 / 4°13'59"W
OS Eastings: 249958
OS Northings: 338096
OS Grid: SH499380
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.N466
Mapcode Global: WH44D.YWDD
Entry Name: Cafe Cwrt
Listing Date: 12 December 1994
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 15363
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To the South of Stryd Fawr set back on the W side of the open space of Y Maes.
Community: Criccieth (Cricieth)
Built-Up Area: Criccieth
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Probably originally built as a one and a half storeyed dwelling in the C17 (although the first documentary reference to a house here comes in a deed of 1742), and raised in height, probably in the late C18 or early C19. The internal arrangements was modified at some time, perhaps when the roof height was raised, and now comprises 2 small rooms with a central entrance and stair hall. The position of the axial beams (close to the partition walls which divide the hall from the 2 rooms) suggests that the original form was a 2-unit dwelling with no central hall. The house is reputed to have housed the Court of Petty Sessions which was based in Criccieth until its transfer to Tremadoc in 1825, and was listed as a small farm in the Tithe Survey of 1839.
Roughly coursed rubble with recent slate roof with end wall stacks. Doorway to left of centre, with the 3 upper windows aligned with the entrance and its flanking windows. All windows are now 2-pane sashes (but were formerly sashes of 12-panes), and all openings have rough stone lintels. In the gable walls, the profiles of the earlier roof line are visible.
A single small room to either side of the central entrance and stair hall. Roughly chamfered axial beams in each room, but otherwise few early features remain. Staircase inserted, probably in the early C19 (and since reconstructed), but it is possible that the building originally had a staircase alongside the principal fireplace.
A good example of a small vernacular house which displays a typical development pattern in its enlargement from a one and a half storeyed building to one with 2 full storeys.
Other nearby listed buildings