This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7331 / 52°43'58"N
Longitude: -3.1004 / 3°6'1"W
OS Eastings: 325791
OS Northings: 315614
OS Grid: SJ257156
Mapcode National: GBR B2.0TLP
Mapcode Global: WH79B.BKVM
Entry Name: Manse
Listing Date: 29 December 1994
Last Amended: 29 December 1994
Source ID: 15409
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The building lies on the E side of a cul-de-sac, formerly the road to Tir y Mynach township.
Built-Up Area: Arddleen
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Presbyterian chapel and attached manse. 1820, 1839 and c 1900-1910.
Red brick with Breidden dolerite rear wall, red stone to manse, and slate roofs, the roof of manse lower in pitch. Central entrance through porch and flanking round-headed windows with iron frames and cast glass. Three windows to rebuilt N gable c.1900-1910. Porch added at the same time, with round-arched opened with flush bead panelled doors, corner pilasters and limestone dressing and entablature. On wall above the porch, a limestone framed date stone. Manse of 1 bay added probably in 1839, flushed door in moulded frame and 16-pane sash widow to ground, 9-pane above. To the rear of the chapel, a schoolroom is added at a lower level, leading directly into the Sunday school hall set at right angles. Both have two centred door openings with framed and boarded doors. Two light timber windows with hopper vents, all margin glazed, to hall. The fore-court has spear-headed railings between monolithic stone piers.
In chapel, walls lined and painted, articulated with pilasters rising from triple small corbels over the timber boarded dado. Simple moulded cornice and central ceiling rose. Pews laid out in three blocks and 2 aisles. Panelled pine reading desk. Pews and organ moved from in front in 1994. Ceiling cracked by c.1985 earthquake.
A good example of a Georgian style Presbyterian chapel with its attached manse.
Other nearby listed buildings