This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.726 / 52°43'33"N
Longitude: -3.1061 / 3°6'22"W
OS Eastings: 325394
OS Northings: 314838
OS Grid: SJ253148
Mapcode National: GBR B1.1CY8
Mapcode Global: WH79B.8R40
Entry Name: Barn, Cartshed and Granary Range at Upper House
Listing Date: 29 December 1994
Last Amended: 29 December 1994
Source ID: 15422
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: The building lies parallel and close to the later course of the canal, north of the farmhouse.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Barn, late C17.
Timber framed, 2 panels high, weatherboarded, with a slate roof, set on low stone walls. Barn of 3 bays, the wall plate later raised one panel on S side to form asymmetrical roof. E truss has deep tie beam and three queen struts to collar, with taking struts to principal rafters carrying a single tier of purlins, a second tier added when the S wall was raised. Centre bay is wider,and divided equally by an inserted central truss, probably contemporary with the heightening of the S wall, bearing graffiti, "R TB AN(no) DO(mini) 1698", and names of various C19 and C20 owners. A timber feeding trough is attached to this truss. Three doors, and shuttered lights. To this floor is inserted, with a second level of small pitched doors under the eaves. The wall panels were originally woven panels on staves to the upper panel,and the studs are grooved, probably for solid timber panels,to the lower panel. Added in line at the E end, a 2-bay open fronted cart shed with a store/granary over, timber framed with stone gable wall. Light timber framing with brick noggings and corrugated asbestos roof. Access by external stair to the rear.
An interesting example of a multi-purpose farm building, adapted for changing farming practice, and recording its owners back to the late C17.
Other nearby listed buildings