This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7208 / 52°43'14"N
Longitude: -4.0512 / 4°3'4"W
OS Eastings: 261557
OS Northings: 315657
OS Grid: SH615156
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.1M5X
Mapcode Global: WH56L.RW11
Entry Name: ,3 & 4,St George's Terrace,Old Barmouth,,GWYNEDD,LL42 1BN
Listing Date: 31 January 1995
Last Amended: 31 January 1995
Source ID: 15475
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Adjoining nos 1 and 2 to the right, and facing a narrow lane with terrace garden beyond; now converted to one house.
Community: Barmouth (Bermo)
Locality: Old Barmouth
Built-Up Area: Barmouth
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The house originally formed a part of the 13 units of the St. George's Guild Cottages which formerly served a community founded by John Ruskin. From 1871 Ruskin published his socialist theories in a series of letters - the Fors Clavigera - which were addressed to 'the working men of England'. In that year he founded the Guild of St.George, 'a society established to carry out certain charitable acts', and the community at Barmouth was his first social experiment. It was made possible by the donation in 1874 of the land and cottages by MrsTalbot of Tyn-y-Fynnon, a friend of Ruskin's and a sympathiser withhis beliefs.
A late C17/early C18 T-plan rubble-built house with mostly modern slate roof (the rear pitch to the R has early small, undressed slates). Rubble gable parapets and plain end chimneys with weather coursing. Modern skylights to 2-storey front and rear roofs. Entrance to the R with modern boarded door. To the L 4 modern, slightly recessed windows, that to far L plain glazed, the others alternately horizontally and vertically divided. Above, 3 modern gabled dormers with modern 2-pane casements barely breaking the eaves and with triangular upper lights. Projecting slate cills throughout. Small gabled wing as before, with plain boarded door to SW face, and an adjacent, similar entrance to the rear of the main block; slate stepped access to upper, parapeted path.
Included despite modernisation as having belonged to Ruskin's guild and consequently of considerable socio-historic interest.
Other nearby listed buildings