This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9807 / 52°58'50"N
Longitude: -3.3739 / 3°22'25"W
OS Eastings: 307853
OS Northings: 343481
OS Grid: SJ078434
Mapcode National: GBR 6P.J8XT
Mapcode Global: WH781.4BNR
Entry Name: National Westminster Bank
Listing Date: 1 February 1995
Last Amended: 1 February 1995
Source ID: 15518
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Prominently sited facing E down High Street at the point where it narrows towards the head of Stryd y Bont.
Built-Up Area: Corwen
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The first branch of the National Provincial Bank of England (later The National Westminster Bank) to open in Corwen opened in 1913. The present building is dated 1928, and may have been designed by Palmer, architect to the National Provincial Bank.
The building is a thorough-going exercise in vernacular revival, based on a medieval open hall. Pegged close-studded timber framed construction on a stone plinth, and with split stone roof. 3 bays, the 2-bay banking hall is open to the roof, with the offices housed in a storeyed bay to the W, and the main entrance in the E gable. S elevation has 2 wide gables over full-height 3 tier wood mullioned and transomed windows, each with canted central section. The gables are slightly advanced, and have vine-scroll decoration to bargeboards, and pendant finials. Dated in a moulded timber panel where the 2 gables meet, and also on the enriched rainwater head. The western bay houses the offices, and has a small-paned 3-light casement window on each floor. Entrance in gable facing E: 4-centred archway to central doorway, with mullioned and transomed oriel window carried on brackets above it. 3-tier mullioned and transomed window in short rear wing to the right. Beyond this, a pentice roof carried on raking brackets straddles a passageway between the bank and the adjacent Harp Hotel.
The banking hall is open to the roof, which has exposed tie beams carried on raking braces, and a plaster panelled ceiling richly decorated with vine-scrolls etc. Oak dado panelling, and panelled counter.
An excellent exercise in the vernacular revival styles developed in the inter-war period, and which were a particular hall-mark of the National Provincial Bank in N Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings