This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9821 / 52°58'55"N
Longitude: -3.3252 / 3°19'30"W
OS Eastings: 311127
OS Northings: 343571
OS Grid: SJ111435
Mapcode National: GBR 6R.J2RY
Mapcode Global: WH781.W9RP
Entry Name: Church of St Bridget
Listing Date: 1 February 1995
Last Amended: 1 February 1995
Source ID: 15542
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Towards the W end of the village, on the N side of the main street, in the angle with the road leading up to Morfydd.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The original parish church of Llansantffraid Glyn Dyfrdwy (later re-named Carrog), was sited close to the river, but was swept away in a flood in the early C17. The present church was built in 1611, but was then extensively restored in 1852. This involved the substitution of open seating, the removal of a N gallery, the addition of a vestry and belfry, and renewal of the window stonework. During further restoration work in 1867, the W gallery was removed, and the chancel rebuilt.
Roughly coursed rubble (including boulder stones) in N wall of nave and porch: S wall of well-coursed and squared slate, the W wall rendered. Nave and chancel, with vestry (rebuilt in 1911) to NW, and S porch which is part of the original C17 building. Gabled double bell-cote on W gable. S porch with heavy curved principal truss to roof, and steep segmental archway to inner door. Panel tracery to windows of 2 and 3-lights (all late C19 insertions). Paired foiled lancets to chancel N and S, and 3-light reticulated traceried E window.
Simple interior with mainly late C19 fittings, but fine early C17 nave roof of 7 bays with curved principal trusses with collar struts and 3 purlins. Chancel extensively reconstructed in 1867, but its roof also appears to be C17, with semi-circular trusses in which the kingposts and braces are cusped, and with elaborate cusped wind-braces. Low stone screen separates nave from chancel, with octagonal wood panelled pulpit at the N end. Encaustic tiles to sanctuary, and stone reredos by Earp. Stained glass in E window by Clayton and Bell. SE window of nave may also be by Clayton and Bell. The other nave windows form a series, dated between 1841 and 1848. Said by D.R.Thomas to be the work of an amateur, they were apparently originally in the chancel and were only later removed to the nave. Wall memorial to S of nave, Elizabeth Roberts, d.1798. Font may be medieval and was possibly salvaged from the earlier church: a simply hewn basin with moulded rim and base.
The church is of special interest as an early C17 building, which has a fine original roof, and C19 fittings of some quality.
Other nearby listed buildings