History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rhagatt Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Corwen, Denbighshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9842 / 52°59'2"N

Longitude: -3.3439 / 3°20'38"W

OS Eastings: 309870

OS Northings: 343825

OS Grid: SJ098438

Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.J46R

Mapcode Global: WH781.L8V3

Entry Name: Rhagatt Hall

Listing Date: 1 February 1995

Last Amended: 1 February 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15562

Building Class: Domestic

Location: In a landscaped park on the N side of the B5437, 1km. approx. W of Carrog.

County: Denbighshire

Community: Corwen

Community: Corwen

Locality: Rhagatt

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Carrog

History

The existence of an estate at Rhagatt can be documented from the late C14. The house was described as 'old' in 1803, and the rear wing of the present house may incorporate parts of a down-hill sited building of possible C17 date. However the main block is largely of 1819-20, when an earlier building was extended and remodelled for Edward Lloyd, whose family had acquired the estate in 1804. The external detail of the rear wing is also largely early C19 or later. The interior of the house was again restored and substantially remodelled c1970.

Exterior

Roughly coursed and squared stone to entrance and garden fronts, rougher rubble to rear (W) elevation; slate roofs. 2 storeyed.

Entrance front faces E and is a 3 window range with advanced pedimented central bay. Entrance with recessed doorway renewed c1970 (formerly with columns in antis). Flanking 12-pane sash windows, with 9-pane sashes to first floor and above the entrance. Right hand windows appear to be inserted, and the scars of earlier openings are visible alongside them. Similar scars to left of entrance may indicate the blockings of windows which were themselves later insertions. A length of wall perpendicular to the building line divides the main part of the house from the service wing, which has 2 x12-pane sash windows to first floor, inserted openings below.

Garden front has twin full height bows, the boldly overhanging eaves of the hipped roof carried straight across them. Each has a floor length 12-pane sash window to ground floor, and a 6-pane sash above. Long rear (W) elevation has 2 long casement windows to lower right, with 6-pane sash windows above; a stair window (reduced in length) and a blocked doorway (apparently cut by the present stairs) in the angle with a projecting full-height bow. Paired long casement windows (inserted) in the bow, and further inserted openings in the 2-window range beyond. Cross wing to left may be of early origin, but was remodelled c1970.

Reasons for Listing

Rhagatt is of historical interest as a small country house, the seat of an old-established estate. The early C19 re-working of older buildings on the site is a distinctive exercise in simple Neo-Classical villa-architecture.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Ice House in grounds of Rhagatt Hall
    On the lower side of the drive leading up to Rhagatt Hall from the B5437.
  • II Plas Derwen
    Set back above the road 1km. approx. E of the centre of the town.
  • II Pentre-Trewyn Farmhouse
    On the B5437 lane from Carrog to Clawdd Poncen, on the N side of the River Dee, 2km approx. NE of Corwen.
  • II Llan Farmhouse
    On the N edge of the village, on the NE side of the lane leading up to Bryneglwys via Morfydd.
  • II Llan House
    On the N edge of the village, on the NE side of the lane leading up to Bryneglwys via Morfydd.
  • II Farmbuildings at Llan Farm
    On the N of the village, on the SW side of the lane which leads to Bryneglwys via Morfydd, opposite and below Llan Farmhouse and Llan House.
  • II Ty'n-Llwyn Farmhouse
    Down a track on the W side of the village, and close to the river.
  • II Church of St Bridget
    Towards the W end of the village, on the N side of the main street, in the angle with the road leading up to Morfydd.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.