This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7342 / 52°44'3"N
Longitude: -3.9543 / 3°57'15"W
OS Eastings: 268144
OS Northings: 316966
OS Grid: SH681169
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.0T6N
Mapcode Global: WH56N.7J8R
Entry Name: Cabab Cader Idris
Listing Date: 1 February 1995
Last Amended: 1 February 1995
Source ID: 15609
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located to the E of a lane running N-S to Kings (Youth Hostel), leading S off the main road (A 493) at Pont Abergwynant; built against the slope of a hill behind a rubble-walled garden.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Former school and school house built 1876 in simple Gothic style.
Quarry-dressed rubble with medium-pitched slate roofs, deep eavesand verges and plain bargeboards to gables.
The School (Caban Cader Idris, to the L) is T-shaped, gabled to Nand W. Gabled bellcote to W (front facing) arm of T with mouldedkneelers, capping and pointed bell-arch in dressed limestone; conical tin louvres to the three roof sections and decorative iron finials to gable apexes. Entrances to R and to N return of projecting wing to W; Tudor-arched to tall, recessed boarded doors with plain fans; stepped access and stopped-chamfered doorcases. Tudor-arched windows with slate cills, two 2-pane to front and two 4-pane to rear with simple, wide Y-tracery heads in timber. Large pointed-arched windows to gable ends with 3 lancets and oculi in wooden plate tracery. To rear, a further entrance as before with large steel-framed window to R, a later insertion.
The School Master's House (Ty'r Ysgol) adjoins to the R and is stepped-up. 2 storeys, L-shaped with construction and detailing as before. Entrances to rear and S side, the latter via a C20 single-storey porch. 4-panelled door with stopped-chamfered detailing. Main front with narrow 2-pane sashes to L bay with cambered heads and slate cills. Half-hipped roof and weather coursing at intersection with school block. Advanced gabled section to R with slightly projecting lateral chimney to N face;plain banding and cornice. 4-pane sashes as before, though larger to gable face. In the apex a slate plaque inscribed with date 1876. Further stack to rear section with hipped roof to S.
Plain interior with contemporary 4-panel doors and simple dog-legstair with plain newel post, rail and balusters.
Listed as an unaltered C19 school and schoolmaster's house which has local historic interest and once served a thriving farming community.
Other nearby listed buildings