History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfihangel Rhos-y-Corn, Carmarthenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9919 / 51°59'30"N

Longitude: -4.1137 / 4°6'49"W

OS Eastings: 254968

OS Northings: 234710

OS Grid: SN549347

Mapcode National: GBR DQ.JN87

Mapcode Global: VH4HG.N63C

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 23 June 1967

Last Amended: 13 September 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15632

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: An isolated hilltop church in a walled churchyard, on the E side of a minor road between Brechfa and Llanybydder.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Llanfihangel Rhos-y-Corn

Community: Llanfihangel Rhos-y-Corn

Locality: Llanfihangel Rhos y Corn

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Abergorlech

History

A medieval church first mentioned in the late C13 and a chapel-of-ease in Llanllwni parish. It was a parish church by 1833. The structure is medieval with a late medieval S aisle, although external openings date from a restoration in the early 1850s. Further minor restoration of 1907 was by E V Collier, architect of Carmarthen.

Exterior

An Early-English style church comprising nave and chancel under a single roof with W bellcote, W porch and a S aisle with chapel shorter than the nave and under a separate roof. Of rubble stone with slate roofs. The openings are all C19, of which the 2-light windows have Y-tracery. The S aisle has a doorway in a projecting hammer-dressed stone surround, with a pointed head and hood mould to a boarded door. To its R are 2 windows with hood moulds. The E walls of aisle and chancel both have similar hooded windows but on the N side of nave and chancel 3 similar windows are without hoods. The gabled porch has a pointed doorway with narrow voussoirs and C20 iron gate. The square-headed W door to the nave has a boarded door. The C19 bellcote has a single bell in a round-headed opening with hammer-dressed voussoirs.

Interior

The interior has suspended ceilings obscuring the roof trusses, which are said to be C19. A 3-bay S arcade has simple plastered 2-centred arches. The late medieval plain octagonal font is on a stem but the base is missing. The C18 pulpit has blind Gothic panels with painted sunflowers in relief, on a base of clustered columns. Benches have simple ends. The communion rail has turned wooden uprights with brackets supporting the rail. The sanctuary has plain and encaustic tiles.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a simple late medieval church on an upland site characteristic of SW and mid Wales, with good interior detail, including font and pulpit.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pant-y-Bettws
    Approximately 300m SW of the parish church, set back from and below the S side of a minor road betwe

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.