This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5283 / 52°31'41"N
Longitude: -3.3894 / 3°23'21"W
OS Eastings: 305838
OS Northings: 293176
OS Grid: SO058931
Mapcode National: GBR 9P.FVHP
Mapcode Global: VH682.6QH5
Entry Name: Rhydlydan Mill
Listing Date: 1 March 1995
Last Amended: 5 November 1996
Source ID: 15665
Building Class: Industrial
Location: The mill lies on the N side of the Newtown to Llanwnog road, in the valley of the Rhyd-ros-lan, which formed the ancient boundary of the Cantref of Arwystli.
Community: Caersws (Caersŵs)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The water mill was built in c.1845, possibly on the site of an earlier mill. A later C19 drying kiln of similar materials is attached to the rear (E) end. The date 1845 painted internally is credible.
Stone with brick dressings and eaves courses with a slate roof. The mill is of 2 storeys and attic. Two doors to the ground floor, with 2 windows, and three windows to upper stone floor plus 1 blocked window. The gable ends have timber framed and weatherboarded gables. A cambered-headed window at the rear lights the wheel house.
The funnel type kiln has a brick substructure, and perforated iron tiling to the loft. The attic storey of the mill has a raised walkway between the wooden bins; and trapdoors. Wooden sack-hoist to the left; the ties of the roof trusses arched to allow passage beneath. Wooden steps lead down from the attic to the stone floor, which has three sets of stones, two bearing the plates of E.Davies & Sons, Liverpool, and Kay & Hilton, Liverpool. The three pairs of stones are driven from above by wooden stone nuts; and have hoppers over. The drive to a flour dresser and a boulter are to the rear of the floor on the right. The driving machinery consist of internal overshot iron wheel with wooden buckets, the latter now lost, and iron pit wheel. The ground floor has wooden stair up to the stone floor, and a doorway into the kiln, which is also accessible from the stone floor.
Included for is unusually complete survival of machinery, and, with overdrift stones and high floors, as a very rare type outside Eastern England.
Other nearby listed buildings