History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rhydycar Canal Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Cyfarthfa, Merthyr Tydfil

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.742 / 51°44'31"N

Longitude: -3.3815 / 3°22'53"W

OS Eastings: 304711

OS Northings: 205714

OS Grid: SO047057

Mapcode National: GBR HN.1J4R

Mapcode Global: VH6CY.BGPY

Entry Name: Rhydycar Canal Bridge

Listing Date: 17 February 1995

Last Amended: 19 December 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15677

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located S of Merthyr College and crossing the line of the former Glamorganshire Canel E of Ynysfach housing estate.

County: Merthyr Tydfil

Community: Cyfarthfa

Community: Cyfarthfa

Locality: Rhydycar

Built-Up Area: Merthyr Tydfil

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Merthyr Tydfil

History

Canal overbridge, typical of the original stone bridges on the Glamorganshire Canal in its construction, but unusual in having an additional arch, probably to accommodate a tramroad running parallel with the canal. It is likely the main span was built as an accommodation bridge for adjacent farms in the Llwyncelyn and Wern areas c1790 or soon afterwards. It is shown in an illustration by William Wood dated 1811. The canal was the prime artery of trade linking the ironworks of
Merthyr Tydfil with their markets via the port of Cardiff throughout the heyday of the iron industry, from the late C18 to the mid C19. Construction began at Merthyr in 1790, and the canal was opened in 1794. It was financed primarily by iron industry interests, among whom the Crawshay family of Cyfarthfa Ironworks were the leading shareholders. Contractors were the eminent canal engineers Thomas Dadford senior, Thomas Dadford junior and Thomas Sheasby.

Exterior

Canal bridge of coursed rubble sandstone crossing a deep cutting. Central elliptical arch with dressed voussoirs, height at centre approximately 6.7m with 5.5m span. Wing walls to support the cutting sides at 45 degrees to the crossing. The smaller arch with some 0.9m span on the east side is at a higher level and appears to have been inserted later, probably in the early C19.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a now rare example of one of the early bridges on this important canal.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II St Tydfil's Church
    Situated in an enclosed churchyard at S end of High Street close to roundabout on A470 road.
  • II Gates & Railings at St Tydfil's Churchyard
    Running along the High Street side of churchyard and curving round the S part to join the outer face
  • II Ironwork Fountain Canopy
    Set on modern concrete base in open ground immediately S of St Tydfil’s churchyard. Formerly locate
  • II Crown Inn
    Towards the S end of High Street where road narrows.
  • II High Street Baptist Church
    On a detached site midway down the pedestrianised section of High Street.
  • II Barclay's Bank
    Slightly set back frontage in assorted group of older buildings.
  • II* Ynysfach Engine House
    Located at the W of Merthyr College and just N of the remains of the Ynysfach blast furnaces.
  • II The Court House
    Set at right angles to Court Street which runs NE from High Street and under the railway embankment

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.