This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9629 / 52°57'46"N
Longitude: -3.0003 / 3°0'1"W
OS Eastings: 332907
OS Northings: 341081
OS Grid: SJ329410
Mapcode National: GBR 75.K9PW
Mapcode Global: WH89B.WSGG
Entry Name: Pen-Y-Lan Hall
Listing Date: 22 February 1995
Last Amended: 22 February 1995
Source ID: 15727
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in its own grounds 800m S of Bryn Pen-y-Lan reached by a private road running off the by-road that runs S off the A539 through Bryn Pen-y-Lan.
Community: Ruabon (Rhiwabon)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Said to date from c1690, the house was remodelled in 1830. The property was bought in 1854 by Thomas Hardcastle, a Bolton cotton manufacturer, of the firm Ormrod & Hardcastle. Enlarged and altered in the late C19, much of these later additions were demolished in the 1950s.
Tudor-Gothic Revival style, stuccoed and castellated. Main entrance elevation: 2-storey with attic behind parapet, moulded string course at first floor level runs the length of elevation, symmetrically placed end castellated stacks. To right 2-bays contain at ground floor two cusped windows with hoodmoulds, first floor 2 cusped windows with hoodmoulds. 2-storey projecting porch, crenellated, 2-bays wide with bay to right set slightly back. Pointed arch doorway with hoodmould, wooden door, to right 3-light cusped window again with hoodnould. First floor has three windows all 2-light cusped with hoodmoulds. Left hand elevation: 2-storeys with attic behind castellated parapet
5-bays wide, flanked at either end by return of castellated stacks. Long windows with hoodmoulds to ground floor, first floor 12-pane sashes with hoodmoulds. Rear elevation: 2-storeys with attic behind parapet, 4-bays wide, three castellated stacks. Ground floor 1 long window with hoodmould, large canted bay window. To first floor 12-pane sashes with hoodmoulds.
Main staircase hall mid/late C19 Tudor-Gothic Revival scheme, some stained glass with heraldic motifs, panelling and wooden staircase. Number of marble fireplaces, including black marble fireplace with cusped details probably dating from 1830s. Attics contain sliding sash windows. Brick barrel vaulted cellars.
Listed as an architecturally distinguished Tudor-Gothic Revival house of the 1830s which retains much of its original character both internally and externally.
Other nearby listed buildings