This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9804 / 52°58'49"N
Longitude: -3.0355 / 3°2'7"W
OS Eastings: 330568
OS Northings: 343065
OS Grid: SJ305430
Mapcode National: GBR 74.J74T
Mapcode Global: WH89B.BBRZ
Entry Name: Wynnstay Column
Listing Date: 22 February 1995
Last Amended: 22 February 1995
Source ID: 15746
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Situated near the eastern edge of Bathground Wood, 500m NW of Wynnstay Hall.
Community: Ruabon (Rhiwabon)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The Column was erected by the mother of the fourth baronet, Dame Francis, in memory of her son Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn who died in 1788. It was designed by James Wyatt and erected in 1789. Wyatt was at that time carrying out alterations to the main house.
Colossal stone fluted Doric column, surmounted by a large bronze urn adorned with goats heads. The column rests on square stone base with entry by a single doorway with a moulded stone architrave, late C20 steel door. On the NE side of the base is a rectangular shallow recess which originally contained an inscribed plaque reading -
'FILIO OPTIMO MATER - EHEU - SUPERSTES' [To the best of sons his mother who - alas - survives him dedicates this]. The column is over 35m high, inside there is a spiral staircase which leads to a railed walkway at the top.
Graded II* as a fine example of a commemorative garden structure, which is a prominent landmark not only within the historic landscape but also in the surrounding community.
Group value with Wynnstay Hall and the other listed structures in the park and garden.
Other nearby listed buildings