This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7037 / 52°42'13"N
Longitude: -3.1667 / 3°10'0"W
OS Eastings: 321263
OS Northings: 312424
OS Grid: SJ212124
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.2P1Z
Mapcode Global: WH79H.B99L
Entry Name: Trawscoed Hen (West Wing)
Listing Date: 22 February 1995
Last Amended: 22 February 1995
Source ID: 15788
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located in a hilltop position, north of Guilsfield village, the driveway formerly commencing at the E end of the Arddleen Road in the village, but now accessed from The Lane, off the A.490.
Community: Guilsfield (Cegidfa)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
West wing of gentleman's residence, built 1772, for Thomas Lloyd (of Trawscoed), the architect not recorded but probably Robert Mylne, or Anthony Keck. Part of a lately fashionable Palladian house with centre block and side wing, which was burnt down in 1856.
Trawscoed H_n is reputed to replace a timber framed building on the same site. Thomas Lloyd was a descendant of Sir Gruffydd Vychan (Vaughan), knighted at Agincourt, who died in 1447, who claimed to be a descendant of the Brochwel Princes of Powys. The house subsequently passed through the hands of Edward Lloyd of Maesmawr, a Parliamentarian in the Civil War.
High quality red brick (local, from Cae Bric) in Flemish bond set in lime mortar on an ashlar stone plinth of 3 courses and three stone string courses. Hipped slate roof. The rectangular block is set at right angles to the main facade, presenting one bay elevation to the main S front, and connected to a lower 3-bay link block, the centre bay of which is set slightly forward and articulated with a tall shallow blind brick arcade, the arches springing from a narrow stone band, the link connecting to the former centre block. The W side elevation has 6 window openings set on the lowest string, with finely rubbed flat brick heads. The link contains a 3-seat WC.
The west block was possibly designed to contain the ballroom, or a library for the main block, which had a 3-bay 3 storey recessed centre with horizontal parapet and projecting 4-storey end towers. A perron stair approached the central pedimented front door.
Both Mylne and Keck were working in a similar austere and correct brick style in Shropshire or Powys at this time or slightly later, Mylne for the Mytton family at Halston Hall, Oswestry, and at Woodhouse and Loton Park, also in Salop and at Bryngwyn in Meifod, Powys. The date of 1772 might be questioned both on architectural grounds and that it seems unlikely that the stable would be built first.
Included as Grade II, despite the loss of the central block, as an important survival of fashionable Georgian architecture in Powys. Group value with the E wing.
Other nearby listed buildings