This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7039 / 52°42'14"N
Longitude: -3.166 / 3°9'57"W
OS Eastings: 321307
OS Northings: 312440
OS Grid: SJ213124
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.2P69
Mapcode Global: WH79H.B9LG
Entry Name: Trawscoed Hen (East Wing)
Listing Date: 22 February 1995
Last Amended: 22 February 1995
Source ID: 15789
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located to the east of the surviving west wing, on the hilltop N of Guilsfield village.
Community: Guilsfield (Cegidfa)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
East wing of gentleman's residence, built 1772, for Thomas Lloyd (of Trawscoed), the architect not recorded but probably Robert Mylne, or Anthony Keck. Part of a lately fashionable Palladian house with centre block and side wing, which was burnt down in 1856.
Trawscoed H_n is reputed to replace a timber framed building on the same site. Thomas Lloyd was a descendant of Sir Gruffydd Vychan (Vaughan), knighted at Agincourt, who died in 1447, who claimed to be a descendant of the Brochwel Princes of Powys. The house subsequently passed through the hands of Edward Lloyd of Maesmawr, a Parliamentarian in the Civil War.
The red brick east range is a mirror image of the west wing, except that the link block has been reduced in height to the upper string and given a hipped slate roof, and two small single-storey extensions at E side, under alteration to form accommodation November 1994. Some 12-pane sashes survive, possibly original.
The E wing contained the kitchens, brewhouse, bakehouse and service rooms for the house, the blocked wide arches for former fireplaces being visible internally.
Of important group value with the W wing. Included as Grade II, despite the loss of the central block, as an important survival of fashionable Goergian architecture in Powys.
Other nearby listed buildings