This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0599 / 53°3'35"N
Longitude: -3.0466 / 3°2'47"W
OS Eastings: 329956
OS Northings: 351916
OS Grid: SJ299519
Mapcode National: GBR 73.CBFH
Mapcode Global: WH88Y.5CH2
Entry Name: Former Plas Power Colliery Western Winding Engine House
Listing Date: 26 September 1994
Last Amended: 1 December 1995
Source ID: 15822
Building Class: Industrial
Location: A tall red-brick building located at the centre of the group of former Plas Power Colliery buildings now known as Southsea Industrial Estate.
Community: Broughton (Brychdyn)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Plas Power Colliery was established in 1875 by the Old Broughton Coal Company (later the Broughton and Plas Power Coal Company). Its directors in 1881 included three of the most important industrialists in Wales, Henry Robertson, W.H.Darby and C.E.Darby, who were also the owners of Brymbo Steelworks. The colliery was one of the largest and most modern in North Wales at the turn of the century, and at its peak employed 1,100 men, The steam coal produced was used in railways and shipping, notably supplying companies such as Cunard, P&O, the Great Western Railway, and the Great Indian Peninsular Railway. The colliery closed in 1938. The western winding engine house appears to have been built after c1885 to upgrade winding arrangements at this shaft.
The western winding engine house is of red brick with a hipped roof and four bays long by two bays wide. The windows are tall and round-headed with brick arches and stone sills. No window frames remain except a few fragments which show the windows to have had small-paned metal frames with radially and concentrically glazed fanlights. On the N elevation are two large and two small openings related to winding cables and engine man's viewing lines. There is a continuous deeply corbelled eaves cornice. The timber roof (slates now missing) has a small dormer on its N slope for one end of the winding cable to pass through, and further low dormers for ventilation on other faces.
The vast stone engine bases rise to the main floor level, with pits and a semi-basement around them. Several large timber beams lie across the engine beds.
Listed for group value with other buildings from the former Plas Power Colliery.
Other nearby listed buildings