This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0267 / 53°1'36"N
Longitude: -3.0236 / 3°1'25"W
OS Eastings: 331441
OS Northings: 348206
OS Grid: SJ314482
Mapcode National: GBR 74.FB1Y
Mapcode Global: WH894.J5DZ
Entry Name: Bersham Colliery Winding Engine House
Listing Date: 7 October 1994
Last Amended: 8 December 1995
Source ID: 15825
Building Class: Industrial
Location: On the SE side of the lane which leaves Wrexham Road opposite Church Street towards the W end of Rhostyllen
Built-Up Area: Rhostyllen
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Bersham Colliery was one of the most important in the Denbighshire Coalfield during the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries. It was first sunk in 1867 but was substantially adapted and re-built in both the 1930's and the 1950's before closing in 1986. The winding engine house was built in about 1933 to house the winding engine for the No 1 shaft.
The engine house is built of red brick with a barrel vaulted concrete roof supported on steel girders. The windows have flat concrete lintels and sills and small pane metal frames. The building is 2 storeyed, 5 bays long by 3 wide. The bays to the long elevations are marked by panels separated by pilasters and with corbelled heads. There are large windows to the first floor, on which the winding engine was located, but only one to the ground floor. A steel staircase gives access to a door at first floor level on the western side. The gable ends have stepped parapets. That facing the headframe has a raised central section to accommodate the line of the winding cable, and a pair of butresses to the front, and there are two covered openings which formerly allowed the cable to pass through. A contemporary 2-storey wing occupies part of the eastern long elevation.
The Metropolitan Vickers winding engine located on the first floor was installed in 1962 when winding was converted to electricity. The large drum itself may be original. An engine man's cabin of steel and glass is adjacent to the engine. The building is partially divided into offices and store rooms on both floors
Listed for group value with the colliery headframe (Scheduled Ancient Monument De199) and as an exceptionally complete example of an early twentieth century winding house with its equipment.
Other nearby listed buildings