This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0899 / 53°5'23"N
Longitude: -3.0244 / 3°1'27"W
OS Eastings: 331491
OS Northings: 355228
OS Grid: SJ314552
Mapcode National: GBR 74.99V5
Mapcode Global: WH88R.JL1L
Entry Name: Former Llay Hall Colliery Workshops
Listing Date: 26 September 1994
Last Amended: 1 December 1995
Source ID: 15829
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Located in the group of former Llay Hall Colliery buildings inuse as an industrial estate east of Mold Road. The workshops are on the north side of the complex and are in use as stores.
Built-Up Area: Sydallt
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Llay Hall Colliery operated from 1877 until 1948. It was sunk by the Llay Hall Coal, Iron and Fireclay Company and worked in association with a fire brick works on the opposite side of the River Alyn. It was nationalised in 1947 but closed shortly afterwards, following a serious underground explosion. The workshops appear to date from the original construction of the colliery in the 1870s.
The workshops are a single-storey gabled structure in red brick (painted to the front), with a slate roof. The building stands on a tall revetment wall at the rear but faces the level colliery yard at the front. The windows are tall and round-headed with metal frames of 30 panes with concentric and radially glazed fanlights. There are eight windows to the rear, and four to the front, together with three sliding doors. There is a shorter round-headed window to each gable end. Near the apex of the roof are six unusual miniature dormer-style sloping roof vents (three on each side), and two chimney stacks towards the middle of the block.
The building is partially subdivided and in use as a store.
Listed as an early colliery workshops building and for group value with other structures at the former Llay Hall Colliery.
Other nearby listed buildings