This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7147 / 51°42'52"N
Longitude: -4.716 / 4°42'57"W
OS Eastings: 212470
OS Northings: 205266
OS Grid: SN124052
Mapcode National: GBR GF.501K
Mapcode Global: VH2PL.65PB
Entry Name: Former Bonville's Court Colliery Heapstead
Listing Date: 26 September 1994
Last Amended: 7 May 1997
Source ID: 15833
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located in the southern part of Bonville's Court Caravan Park 1 km NW of Saundersfoot.
Locality: Bonville's Court Caravan Park
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Bonville's Court Colliery operated from 1842 to 1930, during which time it remained one of the most important collieries in Pembrokeshire. It produced anthracite of exceptional quality, which was particularly valuable in the malting trade, being used in SE England and overseas. Bonville's Court was one of the most organised and mechanised of Pembrokeshire's collieries. In 1925 it employed 3-400 men and was responsible for 82% of the coal output of the County. After closure in 1930 its screens continued in use for some years for coal from nearby pits. Several features from the colliery survive at the Tower Pit site, begun in 1847, now within the caravan park: including the heapstead, power house, weighbridge house, pay office, carpenter's shop, and former railway alignments.
The heapstead or pit bank was the raised platform on which the headframe and winding engine house stood and through which coal was lifted from the shaft for tipping into the adjacent screens and coal wagons. It is constructed of rubble sandstone and stands some 6 m above the surrounding ground level. Putlog holes in the walls supported the timber structure of the screens.
Listed as a rare surviving colliery heapstead, and for group value within the Bonville's Court Colliery complex, one of the most significant remaining from the important Pembrokeshire anthracite trade.
Other nearby listed buildings