History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Bonville's Court Colliery Weighbridge House

A Grade II Listed Building in Saundersfoot, Pembrokeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.715 / 51°42'54"N

Longitude: -4.7146 / 4°42'52"W

OS Eastings: 212568

OS Northings: 205298

OS Grid: SN125052

Mapcode National: GBR GF.50DD

Mapcode Global: VH2PL.75F3

Entry Name: Former Bonville's Court Colliery Weighbridge House

Listing Date: 26 September 1994

Last Amended: 7 May 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15835

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Located at the entrance to Bonville's Court Caravan Park 1 km NW of Saundersfoot.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Saundersfoot

Community: Saundersfoot

Locality: Bonville's Court Caravan Park

Built-Up Area: Saundersfoot

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Saundersfoot

History

Bonville's Court Colliery operated from 1842 to 1930, during which time it remained one of the most important collieries in Pembrokeshire. It produced anthracite of exceptional quality, which was particularly valuable in the malting trade, being used in SE England and overseas. Bonville's Court was one of the most organised and mechanised of Pembrokeshire's collieries. In 1925 it employed 3-400 men and was responsible for 82% of the coal output of the County. After closure in 1930 its screens continued in use for some years for coal from nearby pits. Several features from the colliery survive at the Tower Pit site, begun in 1847, now within the caravan park: including the heapstead, power house, weighbridge house, pay office, carpenter's shop, and former railway alignments.

Exterior

The weighbridge house is a small single-storey gabled structure of coursed rubble sandstone with a corrugated roof. There is a central doorway to the front or N elevation with a plank door, and a square window on either side. One blocked window opening can be seen on the W gable end, and another to the rear elevation. The platform for the weighing machine was set into the road in front. The checkweighman's Act of 1860 and succeeding legislation enforced election and payment of weighmen by the miners themselves in recognition of their important role in recording production for the settlement of wages. The weighbridge house contained reading equipment for the weighbridge, the miners' and Company's nominated checkweighmen, and their respective ledgers.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a rare surviving colliery weighbridge house and for group value within the important Bonville's Court Colliery complex, one of the most significant remaining from the important Pembrokeshire anthracite trade.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.