This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1286 / 52°7'42"N
Longitude: -4.6618 / 4°39'42"W
OS Eastings: 217899
OS Northings: 251152
OS Grid: SN178511
Mapcode National: GBR CZ.84B3
Mapcode Global: VH2MH.4RVL
Entry Name: Crug Farmhouse Crug Farm
Listing Date: 6 March 1995
Last Amended: 6 March 1995
Source ID: 15861
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in an isolated position between Gwbert and Mwnt some 500m inland.
Community: Y Ferwig
Community: Y Ferwig
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Crugbychan (Crug Farm) noted by S. R. Meyrick as ancient gentry house of the Bowen family to 1719, now farm. Tithe map of 1839/40 lists the owner as Thomas Lloyd and occupier as John Williams.
Small farmhouse with undistinguished exterior but retaining medieval roof timbers possibly as early as 1450, reused for current C17 house. Exterior Painted roughcast one and a half storey double-fronted exterior with C19 slate roof. End chimney stacks, the larger on N end. Outshut rear, two C20 dormers and rear porch. C20 windows and rendered S end. W front has two 4 pane sashes, six panel door two glazed and two C20 dormers. Large lean-to on left side of W front with raised roof pitch to ridge and two C20 windows (one in roof). Outbuilding (bakehouse) at right angle to main house at S end. Whitewashed rubblestone and slate roof of two stories. N end door to left and one window each floor to right. Solid stone lintels to ground floor.
Ground floor Hallway has chamfered joists to plain beam on left with planked partitions under. Main hall has massive oak centre beam with pyramid stops one end. Chamfered joists with ogee stops except at hallway end. Large beam above fireplace has pyramid stop on front face and rests on transverse oak beam leading to lean-to chamber to left. Both centre beam and beam above fireplace have housings for joists to be closer together. Massive fireplace beam (4m) and fireplace 3m wide with corner breadoven to left. Main hall originally had brick floor on beaten earth (not now in situ). Door with oak lintels to outshut on R. Four beams in outshut, one with scarf addition and purlin hole (reused from first floor of original building ?). Parlour to R of hallway has three beams and some chamfered joists. The third beam nearest the hallway has at some time been turned through 90 degrees as the housing for a partition is visible together with a 2.5m wide entrance. Below this beam is a stone and timber partition with planked door. First floor Five massive trusses as follows from S end. Truss one (marked V) chamfered and stopped at second purlin height with three purlin holes and collar mortice. One side has later pegged collar added. Truss two (marked IV) has collar mortice higher than truss one and is chamfered and stopped. One side has a scarfed base with two visible purlin holes. Truss three (marked III) is chamfered and stopped. Truss four is chamfered and stopped with one purlin hole visible on one side. Truss five is chamfered and stopped and both sides have a scarfed base, one with two purlin holes visible and the other with three purlin holes visible. This side is burn marked approximately 1m from the present floor level. Outbuilding (bakehouse) originally one room and loft. Massive fireplace beam and oak lintels on windows and doors. A frames with iron staples probably Victorian.
Listed as a rare example of C17 farmhouse built incorporating timbers from earlier C15/16 gentry house.