This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8019 / 51°48'6"N
Longitude: -4.969 / 4°58'8"W
OS Eastings: 195387
OS Northings: 215640
OS Grid: SM953156
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XL3T
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.TZF2
Entry Name: Nos 44 & 46 High Street (N Side),,,,,dyfed,
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 15883
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the N side of the High Street some 40m W of its junction with Quay Street.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
One of a pair of altered late Georgian buildings, with No 46. Premises of T.G. Birch, tailor, for much of C20, the business established in 1829, possibly in same building. Old photographs show the centre square oriel window with small-paned sashes and a top cornice. At one point c. 1900 there were balconies to either side at first floor. Shown as Cliffe Cafe in 1950s photographs.
One of a pair of houses with double recessed front doors under two-storey square oriel. No 44 is roughcast, No 46 stuccoed, with slate roof overhanging with flat eaves. Rebuilt large square brick stack to No 46, no chimney to No 44. Three storeys, five bays overall, with each half having a two-window range of sashes and sharing half of the oriel. Nine-pane sashes to top floor, 12-pane to first floor (replaced in plate glass on No 46). The centre oriel has two 4-pane sashes to first floor front, and narrow lights to sides, flared apron between floors and two smaller plate-glass sashes above with narrow side lights. C20 bowed shop window to No 44, mid C20 metal framed office window flanked by stucco pilasters with fascia and cornice over to No 46. Both doors are recessed in centre, C20 six-panel doors.
Interiors altered but both houses have late C18 small dog-leg stair, with bulbous turned newel, closed string, and small turned column balusters. Upper newels are square with chamfered edges. Four flights.
Included for special architectural interest as part of a pair of late Georgian terraced houses.
Other nearby listed buildings