This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9945 / 51°59'40"N
Longitude: -3.9947 / 3°59'40"W
OS Eastings: 263144
OS Northings: 234778
OS Grid: SN631347
Mapcode National: GBR DW.JFRQ
Mapcode Global: VH4HJ.Q409
Entry Name: Walled Garden at Edwinsford
Listing Date: 26 May 1995
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 15997
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Edwinsford is reached off the B4337 between Llansawel and Talley and is situated on the banks of the River Cothi which is the boundary between the two communities. The walled garden is immediately
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Former walled garden belonging to Edwinsford mansion, the derelict ancient seat of the Williams family. The Gardener's cottage to the SW (Garden Cottage) was built 1811-12; the garden seems to be of similar date.
Early C19 walled garden. 3m high rubble walls enclosing irregularly shaped garden measuring 2.204 ha. Main gate to SW, slightly to left of Garden Cottage, tall piers of squared rubble with raised table and coping; rebated for (missing) gates. Gardener's entry to rear of Garden Cottage. Tall piers of squared rubble flanking low doorway with elliptical stone voussoired head, string course above, rubble infill overhead. Continuous coping, stone ball finials to piers. Timber planked and studded door.. Doorway to SE corner to right of the Coach House, boarded door; stone voussoired head. Similar door to NE corner.
Derelict single storey rubble building to NE corner. Garden overgrown and mostly disused.
Group value with mansion and listed estate buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings