This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.752 / 52°45'7"N
Longitude: -3.8265 / 3°49'35"W
OS Eastings: 276818
OS Northings: 318722
OS Grid: SH768187
Mapcode National: GBR 63.ZLZ6
Mapcode Global: WH67V.6331
Entry Name: Brithdir Independent Chapel including Low Front Walls, Railings and Gates
Listing Date: 26 May 1995
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 16010
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on the SE side of the road just to the SW of Brithdir.
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth)
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Dated 1860; 4-bay rectangular chapel. Of rough-dressed rubble with dressed slate-stone detailing; shallow-pitched slateroof. Symmetrical front with plain bargeboards returned to give a pedimental effect. Within this an oculus with inscribed plaque: 'Brithdir Independent Chapel, erected 1860.' Single-storey projecting porch below with flat roof and plain entablature. Depressed-arched entrance with plain projecting imposts and shallow rubble pilasters; recessed boarded doors. Flanking round-arched windows with imposts as before and plain cill band; 9-pane fixed glazing with Y heads. Four tall, recessed 8-pane sash windows to the sides with projecting slate cills. Rendered E end wall. Attached to this gable end, a 5-sided single-storey bay, the contemporary school room. Boarded doors to L and R and 12-pane sash windows to the three remaining sides. Off-centre to L, a rubble chimney with modern upper section.
Low forecourt walls, slate-coped and with plain decorative iron railings to front. Similar gates to centre and a further gate to churchyard to R.
Plain interior with pitch pine pews and dado panelling. Original benches and lectern in school room.
A well-proportioned and unaltered mid C19 chapel in a prominentroad-side position.
Other nearby listed buildings