This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7855 / 52°47'7"N
Longitude: -3.8486 / 3°50'55"W
OS Eastings: 275423
OS Northings: 322484
OS Grid: SH754224
Mapcode National: GBR 62.XFLL
Mapcode Global: WH56H.V7HW
Entry Name: Churhyard Walls to N and S of St Machreth's Church including Jones and Vaughan Family Monuments
Listing Date: 26 May 1995
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 16017
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth)
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Low rubble walls enclosing the churchyard in an irregular semi-circle from the N around to the S; C19 and earlier. The wall begins at the rear of a rubble cottage immediately N of the E end of the church. From this point it continues around in an arc to join the lychgate S of the tower; here it continues for a further 40m where it terminates at a point some 12m E of the E end of the church. This final stretch is effectively a retaining wall, with only a short section of parapet visible above ground immediately to the E of the lychgate. Large boulder foundations here indicate that this section at least pre-dates the early C19 rebuilding of the church. Entrance to NW with C20 boarded gate; from here to the lychgate the wall slopes down and is coped with slate slabs.
The churchyard survives in a comparatively unaltered state and retains many C18 and C19 gravestones and chest tombs in their original haphazard arrangement. Notable amongst these is the mid C19 Jones of Hengwrt enclosure to the W, with Gothic cast iron railings, and a large raised slate sarcophagus to Sir Rober tWilliames Vaughan and family to the NW (1843-58).
Included for group value with St. Machreth's church and lychgate.
Other nearby listed buildings