This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7846 / 52°47'4"N
Longitude: -3.8558 / 3°51'20"W
OS Eastings: 274936
OS Northings: 322390
OS Grid: SH749223
Mapcode National: GBR 61.XRVM
Mapcode Global: WH56H.R83M
Entry Name: Coed Mawr Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 May 1995
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 16025
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 1km W of Llanfachreth; at the end of a farm track leading W off an unclassified road running SW from the village.
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth)
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Single-storey farmhouse, probably late C17 with alterations and an additional range of c.1838. This relates to a widespread campaign of estate improvements and rebuilding in fanciful Tudor style by Sir Robert Williames Vaughan of Nannau, Bart. A John Edward Lewis of Coed Mawr paid ú12, 12s rent to the Nannau estate in 1701.
Three inter-locking ranges forming a rough J-shaped plan; rubble construction under slate roofs, the main one modern. Tall octagonal chimney on a square base to R, with projecting top.The primary block has 2 modern windows to its main (farmyard-facing) side, with a later gabled rubble porch to the centre with its entrance in its L return; boarded door. A catslide rubble lean-to, earlier than the porch, though not primary, ajoins the porch to the L and abuts a slightly projecting gabled cross-wing to the R. This appears to have been a parlour cross-wing, though substantially gothicised in the C19, when converted to a stable and cart-house block. Triple-stepped diagonal buttresses have been added to the NW, SW and SE corners and further stepped buttresses to the centre of the long SW side and the SE gable. A large Tudor-arched opening has been created in the R bay of the SW side, with pronounced stone voussoirs and label. This has stable- and part corrugated iron doors. Above, 2 wide gabled dormers (apparently primary) with boarded shutters to unglazed windows. Part-glazed modern window to ground-floor L and further shuttered window to the NW gable with a boarded entrance below. The SE gable end has tall blind slit-windows. Decorative weathervane to NW gable apex.
Adjoining the main house to the L is a single-storey rubble lean-to with hipped slate roof and boarded door to the front. Adjoining the house behind this to the SE is the new farmhouse of c. 1838. 2 storeys with octagonal end chimneys as before. Off-centre entrance to main (NE facing) side with modern door. 6-pane sash window to R and 4-pane sashes to L and to first floor,all C19. Above the door, a 5-pane Y-tracery arched window. Further 4-pane sashes to the rear plus a tall Y-tracery stair-light. 2 further Y-tracery windows to the SE gable, with decorative bargeboards.
The main block has a large fireplace and beamed ceilings and the cross-wing also has chamfered ceiling beams to the L section. The C19 wing is said to have had the date 1888 above a fireplace (now obscured), though 1838 seems more likely.
Included as an early vernacular farmhouse with interesting and unusual Tudor-Gothic alterations in Nannau estate style.
Other nearby listed buildings