This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8004 / 52°48'1"N
Longitude: -3.7409 / 3°44'27"W
OS Eastings: 282726
OS Northings: 323963
OS Grid: SH827239
Mapcode National: GBR 66.WPR9
Mapcode Global: WH67H.HVTZ
Entry Name: Hywel Dda Hotel
Listing Date: 26 May 1995
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 16044
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Prominently located on the roadside, NE of Rhydymain.
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth)
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth
Locality: Hywel Dda
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Dated 1789; L-shaped inn built by Robert Hywel Vaughan (later the first baronet) of Nannau. Called the Hywel Dda inn already in the Justices Alehouse Register of Meirioneth, 1817-26. In 1820 the landlord is recorded as being one William Jones.
2-and-a-half storeys; constructed of large rubble blocks with a slate roof. Road-facing range with end chimneys with plaincapping and weather-coursing; plain eaves cornice. 3-bay symmetrical front: large original 12-pane recessed sash window to the ground-floor central bay and smaller 12-pane sashes (C19) to flanking bays and first floor windows. Central open pediment to upper floor with small modern window within. Flanking rubble gabled dormers with modern windows breaking the eaves; slated bargeboards. Contemporary recessed slate plaque between ground and first floors of central bay inscribed: 'built by R.H.V.Esq. 1789.' Further (modern) inscribed slate plaque above ground-floor window to R, dated 1969. End chimney as before to storeyed rear wing; this with modern fenestration. Storeyed modern lean-to to SW gable end with further modern extensions to the rear and to the NE.
Included notwithstanding modern additions as an C18 dated, purpose-built inn.