This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5786 / 51°34'43"N
Longitude: -2.8302 / 2°49'48"W
OS Eastings: 342565
OS Northings: 186966
OS Grid: ST425869
Mapcode National: GBR JD.CQT5
Mapcode Global: VH7BG.WLM5
Entry Name: Schoolhouse
Listing Date: 31 May 1995
Last Amended: 31 May 1995
Source ID: 16063
Building Class: Education
Location: Situated close to the south side of St Mary's church and adjacent to churchyard boundary.
Community: Magor with Undy (Magwyr gyda Gwndy)
Community: Magor with Undy
Built-Up Area: Undy
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
School and attached schoolmaster's house of 1857, the latter now a separate dwelling and the school used for community activities and playgroups. It is possible that this building is also to the designs of John Norton the architect who built The Vicarage in 1861 and restored the church in 1868.
Single storey school mostly of red sandstone roughly dressed and coursed with ashlar bellcote, copings and some window and door surrounds, these painted, others in yellow brick. Welsh slate roof with deep dentilled verges to E schoolroom and decorative end ridge tiles. Parallel gabled classroom, hall and house wings are joined by a cross wing. S elevation has gable with apex stone and kneelers and large segmental pointed arched window with hoodmould and Perp tracery with transom. Matching gable supports bellcote with trefoil bell opening and quatrefoil above. Cross wing windows of pointed lights within rectangular frames, the central larger under a dentilled gable. Other gothic details to windows and doorway. Simpler cambered arched schoolroom windows. Schoolhouse is of 2 storeys, has coped cross gables and has 2 substantial stacks, one with moulded cornice. Interior, partly refurbished, retains some panelling and dado rails.
Included for group value and historical associations with St Mary's Church.
Other nearby listed buildings