This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.056 / 52°3'21"N
Longitude: -3.103 / 3°6'10"W
OS Eastings: 324467
OS Northings: 240311
OS Grid: SO244403
Mapcode National: GBR F2.DLXS
Mapcode Global: VH780.5LF6
Entry Name: Llangwathan Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 June 1995
Last Amended: 20 June 1995
Source ID: 16127
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house is situated off a narrow lane leading south from Cusop, over the Dulas Brook on a private track.
Locality: Cusop Dingle
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
The house originated in probably the late 15th century as a cruck-built house of 3 bays with a 2-bay hall, and cross-range at the upper end. It was originally timber-framed with at least 2 stone gable-walls, and of good quality and width. The hall incorporated the entrance cross-passage, which was flanked by plank & muntin partitions (one remaining). The lower end, which has been interpreted as a byre, had a heated upper room. The upper end has also been interpreted as original in its present form, a cross-wing with large & small rooms and plank & muntin partitions, and an axial chimney with fireside stairs; but its ground-floor ceiling beam is similar to those inserted in the hall c.1600 and its chimney better fits the later date.
In about 1600 a ceiling and chimney were inserted in the hall with a chimneyside staircase. There was a general refitting in the late C19, with new planked doors, some in new positions, a servants' staircase in the lower end, rebuilt chimneys and two fireplaces inserted in upper rooms. The side walls were rebuilt in stone no earlier than C18 and possibly in C19. The house was owned from at least the 1570s by the Lewis family, who may have built it, until the late C19.
Semi-detached from later cowshed, stone with stone-slate main roof & slated cross-range; 1 storey with semi-attic. Windows have stone lintels & C19 & C20 wooden casements & pvc frames; upper windows mainly in C19 dormers, doors C19 planks. S chimney old stone, central one rebuilt late C19, bold white brick design. W: gable-chimney has plain early stairlight. S: one late C19 sash window, red brick C19 corner chimney. E: the S cross-gable has 2 courses projecting stone slabs in apex; late C19 dormer window over hall, slate-hung, pierced bargeboards. N: chimney projects on 3 miscellaneous stone corbels; projecting slabs in gable beside chimney.
Doors mid-late C19 planks. Mediaeval hall has pair of crucks partly visible, chamfered; now ceiled, beams with pyramidal stops; old windowseats; stairs with plain handrail, C17/18; doorway from passage 1600, arched head. Partitions to and between inner rooms heavy plank & muntin, 1 blocked original doorway, others inserted C19. Inner room with early fireplace, stone stairs with unusual corbelled vault. Early partition between cross-passage & lower room concealed, between crucks. Original N end beam in lower room has lost posts ?for tethering cattle. 1st floor: Roof with curved lower windbraces in main range, 2 missing. N end crucks
collared; partition in next crucks inserted & 1st roof bay sooted. Central truss of early
hall, chamfered crucks, archbrace & collar. Cross range, windbraces, arched-braced
tiebeam in middle.
The house is important for its good preservation and late mediaeval cruck construction, at a time of transition in the development of the longhouse, and for its upgrading c.1600. The early period has several points of exceptional interest.
Other nearby listed buildings