This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.183 / 53°10'58"N
Longitude: -3.2033 / 3°12'11"W
OS Eastings: 319682
OS Northings: 365773
OS Grid: SJ196657
Mapcode National: GBR 6X.3GCH
Mapcode Global: WH774.R8S6
Entry Name: Pen-y-Fron Baptist Chapel (including burial ground walls).
Listing Date: 14 June 1995
Last Amended: 14 June 1995
Source ID: 16133
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Community: Gwernaffield with Pantymwyn (Gwernaffield gyda Pantymwyn)
Traditional County: Flintshire
Situated on the E side of Pen-y-fron Road on the N side of the settlement.
History: Built in 1825 it is the oldest surviving Baptist chapel in use in the former county of Flintshire, and is the only intact example with a square plan with central entrance in the side wall. The chapel was repaired and restored late C20 and furnishings brought from elsewhere.
Exterior: Rubble with roughly squared quoins and stepped architraves to openings. Renewed slate roof. Symmetrical elevation with a central entrance with C19 door flanked by sash windows with margin lights and textured glass, that to the right has renewed stone lintel. Above the door is a stone with a Welsh inscription from Isiah 55.3 and the date 1825. Outbuilding with C20 door attached to right. Left hand return elevation is rendered, rear elevation has 2 sash windows as before.
Rubble walls to burial ground extend from the front and rear of the building and return to form a rectangular enclosure containing gravestones. The wall was restored late C20.
Interior: Not accessible at the time of inspection March 1995.
Listed as a locally rare example of a Baptist Chapel with an early plan form which survives in relation to its burial ground.
References: Seaborne, M. Early Flintshire Chapel Plans Capel Newsletter 18, 1992 pp10-15. Additional information from M. Seaborne.
Other nearby listed buildings