This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0235 / 52°1'24"N
Longitude: -3.9573 / 3°57'26"W
OS Eastings: 265797
OS Northings: 237933
OS Grid: SN657379
Mapcode National: GBR DX.GR1N
Mapcode Global: VH4HC.CD8L
Entry Name: Vestry and Forecourt Railings to Crugybar Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 2 August 1995
Last Amended: 2 August 1995
Source ID: 16238
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in own large graveyard at end of short lane off B4302 at Crugybar.
Community: Cynwyl Gaeo
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
1837 chapel, refitted 1893. Very early cause, possibly as early as c1650. The first meeting place at Crugybar was apparently built c1688, receiving support from Sir Nicholas Williams M.P. Independent congregation recorded here 1715. Early history connected with Capel Isaac (Llandeilo Fawr). New chapel built 1765, rebuilt and enlarged 1837, renovated and refitted 1893.
Lateral smooth-rendered colourwashed 3-bay front. Slate roof, timber bracketed eaves and bargeboards. Tall round-arched central window with raised cemented surround, 36-pane marginal glazing. Upper arched window to right and left, 16-pane marginal glazing, surrounds as above. Arched doorway below each upper window, boarded doors, marginally glazed fanlights, surrounds as above. Low rendered plinth. Renewed slate plaque under centre window: "Crugybar. Adeiladwyd 1765. Aiodeiladwyd 1837. Adnewydd 1893". Slate-hung left end, tall window as front. Slate-hung rear, two similar tall windows. Rubble right end, tall window as others, stone voussoirs.
Later vestry attached and projecting forward to right, with sweeping cemented steps to first floor boarded door. Four-pane horned sash to right. Rubble rear, two upper sashes as above, brick cambered heads. Central boarded door, small windows flanking, similar heads. C20 doors to end. Dwarf rubble front court-wall with 1893 cast iron railings swept up steps to vestry door. Central paired cast iron gates and posts, the latter signed: "T.Jones. Priory Foundry. Carmarthen".
Boarded ribbed ceiling painted in various colours. Large central plaster rose with pendant. Square wooden ventilators to right and left. Three sided timber gallery upon iron columns with simple capitals. Coved panelled underside, moulded base with hanging fretwork. Long panels above filled with alternating vertical and diagonal boarding, moulded sill. C19 clock to gallery, signed H.Evans, Llangadock. Pews with diagonally boarded backs, doors and shaped ends; raked to gallery. Wide timber polygonal pulpit, round-arched panels with inset roundels and miniature panels. Moulded base and sill. Flanking sweeping staircases, turned balusters and newels. Big Seat with three-sided timber rail, recessed to centre, turned balusters and newels, matchboarding below. Simple high plaster arch behind pulpit.
Well-preserved C19 chapel with long and important history situated in excellent natural setting.
Other nearby listed buildings