This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0235 / 52°1'24"N
Longitude: -3.957 / 3°57'25"W
OS Eastings: 265817
OS Northings: 237926
OS Grid: SN658379
Mapcode National: GBR DX.GR3V
Mapcode Global: VH4HC.CDFN
Entry Name: 3. Terraced Row of 4 houses opposite Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 2 August 1995
Last Amended: 2 August 1995
Source ID: 16241
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located opposite Crugybar Independent Chapel near end of short lane off B4302. Named from left to right: Llysycoed, Minerafon, Annelfa, and Post Office, village Post Office located in right-hand house
Community: Cynwyl Gaeo
Community: Cynwyl Gaeo
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terrace of three houses built 1867 for Thomas Davies plus a fourth added to right c1900.
Stuccoed painted fronts scored to imitate ashlar. Slate roof, wooden soffits, bracketed eaves to left. Four ridge brick chimney stacks. Narrow two-bay fronts to cottages. Four-paned horned sashes to Llysycoed, 12-pane hornless sashes to Minerafon and Annelfa. Boarded doors to all three. Former P.O. with 3-bay front. Upper 9-pane hornless sashes, 12- pane hornless sash to ground floor left, wide shop window to right with raised cemented architrave and original wooden panelled shutters. Central modified panelled door. Single bay store to right, slightly recessed, but sharing same roofline. Planked door to each storey. Datestone between Annelfa and Post Office: "Built 1867 T.D.". Rubble left gable end.
Limewashed rubble rear. C20 door to Llysycoed, brick cambered head, 12-pane hornless sash above, similar head. Minerafon with planked door and 6-pane 2-light casements, heads as above. Annelfa with planked door; ground floor 4-pane horned sash; 6- pane casement above: heads as above. Gabled rubble built extension of c1930 to rear of former P.O. with wide 6-pane sashes.
Rear alleyway backed by range of C19 single-storey rubble built coal-sheds, corrugated iron roof, planked doors, 12-pane hornless sash to right. Brick chimney stack to right gable. C20 garage attached to left.
Tiny interiors. Annelfa is the most intact cottage with a winding stick-baluster stair. Front parlour with Edwardian mantelpiece and hob-grate, flanking glazed cupboards. Simple shop fittings to P.O. Sack pulley to roof of store.
Unspoilt rural Victorian terrace forming scenic group with chapel. It is comparable (though less architectural) to the earlier listed terrace at Cwmdu, near Talley.
Other nearby listed buildings