History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn Range at Troedyrhiw

A Grade II Listed Building in Cynwyl Gaeo, Carmarthenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0122 / 52°0'44"N

Longitude: -3.9157 / 3°54'56"W

OS Eastings: 268621

OS Northings: 236599

OS Grid: SN686365

Mapcode National: GBR DZ.HHBZ

Mapcode Global: VH4HD.2PS9

Entry Name: Barn Range at Troedyrhiw

Listing Date: 2 August 1995

Last Amended: 2 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16250

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Farm at end of long track off A482, 1 km N of Hafod Bridge. Barn to SW of farmhouse beyond cowshed.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Cynwyl Gaeo

Locality: Hafod Bridge

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Caio

History

Early/mid C18 barn-range of scarfed-cruck construction. Clearly shown on 1830 O.S map. 1841 owner, David Arthur Saunders Davies; occupier, Mary Edwards. [The farmhouse has been much modernised, but was apparently also of scarfed-cruck construction.]
Exterior: Whitewashed rubble high-door barn-range on downslope site. Corrugated-iron roof, wooden soffits. Wide door to left, corrugated-iron sheeted doors, concrete lintel. Boarded door to right, timber lintel. Rear with window to left rising to soffit, small window below to right with timber lintel. Low barn door to right, timber lintel; paired planked doors.

Exterior

Small later rubble extension to left with half-hipped slate roof. Divided boarded door with timber lintel, similar head to small window above.

Small rubble addition to right with hipped slate roof; wide opening with timber lintel, corrugated-iron doors. Slatted window above to gable of barn.

Interior

Roof structure consists of five pairs of scarfed crucks with pegged collars (missing to centre pair) and yoked apexes. Rough purlins on cleats. The soffits of the crucks are chamfered. The left gable is half-timbered within with crude cupped vertical posts supporting the ridge and upper purlins. Underthatch of split palings, some thatch survives.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an extremely rare example of a scarfed-cruck barn in the area.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Former Cow-House at Troedyrhiw
    Farm at end of long track off A482 1 KM N of Hafod Bridge. Cow- house to SW of farmhouse.
  • II Lletty Uchaf
    In an isolated location on the slopes of a steep-sided valley, accessed from the NE side of a narro
  • II Byre attached to Ty'n Coed
    Reached at end of track off A482 near Hafod Bridge.
  • II Ty'n Coed
    Reached at end of track off A482 near Hafod Bridge.
  • II Cwm Cynwal
    Approximately 4.5km N of Llanwrda. Reached E off A 482 across Afon Dulais and set in the slope besi

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.