This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.047 / 52°2'49"N
Longitude: -3.9605 / 3°57'37"W
OS Eastings: 265648
OS Northings: 240551
OS Grid: SN656405
Mapcode National: GBR DX.FB7P
Mapcode Global: VH4H5.9TL3
Entry Name: Village Hall
Listing Date: 2 August 1995
Last Amended: 2 August 1995
Source ID: 16254
Building Class: Recreational
Location: Situated in village centre on E side of A482.
Community: Cynwyl Gaeo
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Opened 1903, commemorating the coronation of Edward VII. Built at the expense of Lady Hills-Johnes of Dolaucothi. Front railings and archway erected 1925 as a War Memorial.
Village hall of corrugated iron construction. Pitched roof. Single storey, broad six bay front, both end bays continued as balancing outshut porches. Four-pane, top-hung windows; 4-pane windows to porches. Boarded doors to inner sides of porches. Later corrugated iron lean-to against left end. Two windows to right end as front flanking paired planked doors. Rear with timber extension to right, pitched corrugated iron roof, rendered toilet block to left.
War Memorial gates and railings: Dwarf stone walls with decorative iron half-railings, recessed to centre with elaborate cast iron arch of 1925 (War Memorial). Square openwork piers with crested overthrow and bronze plaques to head and sides, paired high iron gates. Plainer pair of iron gates to left with posts signed: "T.Jones and Sons, Priory Foundry, Carmarthen. Coronation 1902". 1924 datestone to right of entry.
Unusual architectural interior. Large hall, boarded walls, boarded wagon roof with thin ribs and moulded wooden cornice. Four- panelled doors.
Listed as an unusually good example of an iron village hall built to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII with front archway erected as a First World War memorial. Fine character to interior and an attractive setting in listed group of former estate buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings