History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial Gates and Railings to the Village Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Cynwyl Gaeo, Carmarthenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.047 / 52°2'49"N

Longitude: -3.9606 / 3°57'38"W

OS Eastings: 265640

OS Northings: 240544

OS Grid: SN656405

Mapcode National: GBR DX.FB6L

Mapcode Global: VH4H5.9TJ5

Entry Name: War Memorial Gates and Railings to the Village Hall

Listing Date: 2 August 1995

Last Amended: 2 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16255

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: Situated in village centre on E side of A482.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Cynwyl Gaeo

Locality: Pumpsaint

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Pumpsaint

History

Opened 1903, commemorating the coronation of Edward VII. Built at the expense of Lady Hills-Johnes of Dolaucothi. Front railings and archway erected 1925 as a War Memorial.

Exterior

Village hall of corrugated iron construction. Pitched roof. Single storey, broad six bay front, both end bays continued as balancing outshut porches. Four-pane, top-hung windows; 4-pane windows to porches. Boarded doors to inner sides of porches. Later corrugated iron lean-to against left end. Two windows to right end as front flanking paired planked doors. Rear with timber extension to right, pitched corrugated iron roof, rendered toilet block to left.

War Memorial gates and railings: Dwarf stone walls with decorative iron half-railings, recessed to centre with elaborate cast iron arch of 1925 (War Memorial). Square openwork piers with crested overthrow and bronze plaques to head and sides, paired high iron gates. Plainer pair of iron gates to left with posts signed: "T.Jones and Sons, Priory Foundry, Carmarthen. Coronation 1902". 1924 datestone to right of entry.

Interior

Unusual architectural interior. Large hall, boarded walls, boarded wagon roof with thin ribs and moulded wooden cornice. Four- panelled doors.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an unusually good example of an iron village hall built to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII with front archway erected as a First World War memorial. Fine character to interior and an attractive setting in listed group of former estate buildings.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.