This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0004 / 52°0'1"N
Longitude: -3.1894 / 3°11'21"W
OS Eastings: 318443
OS Northings: 234216
OS Grid: SO184342
Mapcode National: GBR YY.J3J4
Mapcode Global: VH6BP.NZRD
Entry Name: Wall with Niche and inscribed stone, opposite Llanelieu Court
Listing Date: 14 August 1995
Last Amended: 14 August 1995
Source ID: 16307
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located in Llanelieu, on the N side of the road to Talgarth, opposite Llanelieu Court.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Stone boundary wall behind road verge, running for approximately 6m from steps to the Pottery, to a rebuilt pier at the corner, and includes two later C17 features probably from the Aubrey manor house. Near the steps, a moulded arched niche, the mouldings an ogee and hollow chamfer, and bearing the date 1679, and on the terminal pier a reset stone with a two confronting ogee-moulded basket arch on the soffit, and which bears, above the arch, the inscription NON : IVPITER : QVIDEM / OMNIBVS : PLACET x / SPES : ALIT : EXVLES:
Included as a notable local feature, of group value with Llanelieu Court, and illustrative of the literary aspirations of later C17 gentry even in this upland region.
Other nearby listed buildings