This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4574 / 51°27'26"N
Longitude: -3.3477 / 3°20'51"W
OS Eastings: 306463
OS Northings: 174014
OS Grid: ST064740
Mapcode National: GBR HQ.MDMY
Mapcode Global: VH6F9.XMLN
Entry Name: Churchuard Cross at Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 July 1995
Last Amended: 31 July 1995
Source ID: 16320
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in the churchyard immediately to the S of St. Mary's parish church which is located on the N side of the A48 at the W edge of the village, opposite the Great House.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: St. Nicholas and Bonvilston (Sain Nicolas a Thresimwn)
Community: St. Nicholas and Bonvilston
Built-Up Area: Bonvilston
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Medieval base to church cross restored by public inscription as a memorial to the men of the parish who died in the Great War 1914-1918. The names of five servicemen are inscribed on the replacement block of the top step of the cross facing S. The design was prepared by William Clarke of Llandaff.
Four stepped medieval base constructed in limestone block. Each step of two courses of local limestone topped by a roughly hewn, weathered, tapering block of sandstone with plain C20 cross of Forest of Dean sandstone.
Included for group value with St. Mary's parish church.
Other nearby listed buildings