This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5989 / 52°35'56"N
Longitude: -3.1999 / 3°11'59"W
OS Eastings: 318822
OS Northings: 300804
OS Grid: SJ188008
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.96V3
Mapcode Global: WH79V.TXDY
Entry Name: The Old School House
Listing Date: 21 August 1995
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16328
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Backs onto the E side of the churchyard in the centre of the village.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Built-Up Area: Berriew
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A school in Berriew was first established through an endowment by Humphrey Jones of Garthmyl in 1653, and the first building erected in 1655. A new school house was erected by public subscription in 1756, but rebuilt in 1819. The school achieved notoriety for a dispute over the introduction of non-denominational secondary education, when an Order in Council confirming this in 1894 was reversed by the Berriew School Act of 1897. The school rooms are now used as a community centre.
Roughly coursed and squared stone with slate roof and axial brick stacks. 2-storeyed, symmetrically designed with advanced outer wings and a 2-window range between them. Former school (now community centre) occupies right-hand wing, the rest is the Old School House. This has doorway in ashlar porch alongside its left hand wing, with 4-centred archway with hood mould and traceried overlight to door. 2-light casement window with transom window alongside the porch in painted stone architrave, with curved upper lights. Similarly detailed casement windows above and in gable of wing, which has small attic window, moulded kneelers to copings, and finial. Right hand wing has former school entrance in segmental archway on inner side, and mullioned windows with round-headed lights (4 to ground floor, 2 above) in gable end. Inscription plate recording the history of the school in the gable apex. Recent additions against the right hand return themselves replace earlier extensions to the school accommodation. Rear elevation to churchyard has single window on each floor in gabled wing, and 3 window range to school house: all windows are 2-light mullions in chamfered painted stone architraves, with arched heads to lights.
A good example of an early C19 school building, which forms a significant component in an exceptional conservation area.
Other nearby listed buildings