This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.603 / 52°36'10"N
Longitude: -3.1923 / 3°11'32"W
OS Eastings: 319349
OS Northings: 301243
OS Grid: SJ193012
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.92QH
Mapcode Global: WH79V.YT1W
Entry Name: Lock Cottage
Listing Date: 21 August 1995
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16336
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated 150m approx. N of bridge 128 which carries the B4390 over the canal 0.5km approx. NE of Berriew village, on the east side of the canal at Berriew Lock.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The Montgomeryshire Canal was built as far as Garthmyl between 1794 and 1797, engineered by John and Thomas Dadford. The lock forms part of this original construction, and there was a cottage here by at least 1840. The present house is a later reconstruction (possibly built as part of a programme of work carried out by the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company in the later C19). It appears to have comprised 2 dwellings originally.
Painted brick with slate roof. End wall stacks. 2 storeys, 2-window range, with doorway to right in added timber gabled porch. Casement windows with flat arched brick heads and projecting sills. Blocked doorway to right of left-hand window.
Listed as part of a group of canal structures at Berriew Lock.
Other nearby listed buildings